Thursday, January 28, 2010

Swims, Bricks and Aerobic Threshold

Last nights structured swim was a good work out with a focus on improving speed endurance as I would like to get my Ironman swim down to under 1:10. The set looked like: -
  • 250m warm Up
  • 500m Drills ( 2 x (50m Catch up, 100m 1-arm, 100m finger drag))
  • 1000m hard (4 x 250m : RI 15sec)
  • 500m Flat out (10 x 50m :RI 10 secs)
  • 250m warm down focusing on swimming long and smooth
And the above set left my shoulders and upper back feeling suitably drained.



Today I decided to do a brick session, that is a bike ride immediately followed by a run, and the focus of this brick session was on my base aerobic fitness and my run to bike transition, I am quite a good runner off the bike but there is always room for improvement.

The session was made up of a 27mile ride followed by a 4mile run and what became immediately evident was the difference in my Aerobic Threshold on my bike to my Aerobic Threshold on the run, with the bike being way .. way under that of my run (about 20+bpm). This could be what is at the route of why I am crap on a bike ... so over the next few weeks In need to improve this .




1 comment:

Cindy Dallow, PhD, RD said...

Wow! That swim workout would kill me. I wish I could do that much. Swimming is so hard for me...need to crank up the workouts. You're inspiring me!