Monday, January 18, 2010

Tough Love


Well today saw my first big bike session of the year an my IMDE training campaign, indoor cycling this time for over 3hours and for a total of 57miles.

To keep things going I did a Turbo Trainer DVD called Spinervals 13 – Tough Love .... and TOUGH is an understatement to say the least.

The cover shows it to be a 3hour Interval Session with a difficulty rating of 9.9 out of 10, it s specifically intended to improve your endurance and aerobic capacity, which you'll certainly need if you're going to do an Ironman. As it's all one long s

ession, the workout in is more balanced than what you'd get by playing a shorter Spinervals workout several times or doing a number of other Spinerval sessions back-to-back. Coach Troy Jacobson specifically addresses the different conditions of a really lengthy workout by pointing out your requirements for calorie and water consumption

during the ride well as cautioning participants to pace themselves. He also points out, quite correctly, that Tough Love is not a workout for beginners: in order to tackle this program, you should be at a good condition already.

One thing i will say is though ... I wished i'd wore cycling shorts.

1 comment:

Cindy Dallow, PhD, RD said...

Hey WildWill,
Your blog sounds like mine: its all about Spinervals! I'm training for IM AZ and have started using Spinervals since its too cold/snowy to ride outside (I live in Colorado). I love 'em but they're tough. I haven't tried the one you wrote about today but I have two others that I like a lot.
Good luck with your training! I'll be interested to read what IM Germany is like. I did Florida in November.
Cindy