Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Great North Bike Ride

On Sunday of this weekend I did the Great North Bike Ride, it is the first time in have done this event and it is in aid of The Chris Lucas Trust. It starts in Sea houses and winds its way down minor roads finishing at Tynemouth.

I haven’t really done much cycling and I thought id use this ride to test my cycling fitness. I wore a full backpack to add a bit of resistance and weight and set off at what I thought would be a sustainable pace.

There was a bit of a head wind but nothing to problematical – and I managed to do the 55miles in 3:15 (16.92mph) I was quite pleased at that but I faded a bit over the last 10miles as I’d been averaging much closer to 18mph up to that point – but still quite pleased.

The thing that got me was that I spotted people ‘cheating’ this was not a race just a leisure ride, so the only ones they were cheating were themselves – I saw people taking shortcuts and loading there bikes into / out of vans … shame on them.

But for me it was a great day out.

My wife also did this ride with her (retired) father – neither have ever done anything like this before and I am immensely proud of both of them … Well done Sharon & David



6 comments:

Otter said...

Awesome for the family and you. With the wind resistance and that pack, I bet you got blown all over the place. Sounds as if the Man Flu is completely gone, did you sweat it out?

beanz said...

Well done all of you

Highway Kind said...

Sounds like a nice event. Well done on your pace.

As for the cheating. It sounds almost comical. Perhaps they are being outrageous to gain the bragging rights in the pub

WildWill said...

Otter

yes much better - thank you

Cliff said...

Hi Will,

If they are cheating, they will pay for it on race day :)

warriorwoman said...

Wow, you are really thes "Great North" events to the limit. I'd never even heard of the cycle.