Thursday, October 14, 2010

GEAR REVIEW: Petzl MYO XP

The winter, as the nights draw in, normally pushes evening onto the roads and more well lit routes that are normally suffer from being boring, choked with fumes from traffic or clogged with pedestrians, Well this year I wanted it to be different .. I wanted to embrace winter wild running, to be able to continue to enjoy runs along the river banks and through woods and parks, so to this end I decided to look at head touches as a means of lighting my way.


After quite a bit research, I new what I wanted, something light that took regular batteries, had a good burn time and most importantly was bright. There were a couple in the running a model from Lennser and another from Petzl … and, by default, since I could not find anyone with the Lenser in stock I ended up by the Petzl.


The model I purchased was the Petzl MYO XP and off I went for an evening run on the heath.
I originally had reservations about the battery pack on the rear of the strap, but once I had but the Petzl on I found it adjusted easily and was comfortable to wear; I used it on maximum power for about the last hour of a hard interval run, during which the light stayed in place and did not irritate.


The light was bright enough for me to see comfortable, meaning I was able to push myself during the session without fear of tripping over an unseen obstruction and its adjustability meant it shone exactly where needed.
I will definitely be using the Petzl MYO XP to allow me to continue running off road this winter and as a supplemental light while out on my bike … you can never be too safe out there
RATING 9/10
Features
  • Shines up to 97metres (boost mode)
  • 86 lumens (maximum level)
  • 150 lumens (boost mode)
  • 3 lighting levels (maximum, optimum, economic)
  • Wide angle lens allows to quickly switch from flood beam proximity lighting to focused long distance lighting in a single movement
  • Boost mode increases power if needed while optimizing energy consumption and weight (175g with batteries)
  • 180 hour light duration at economic level (80h on maximum)
  • Battery charge indicator light warns when batteries are 70% and then 90% discharged
  • Head Band includes top strap.
  • 3 year warranty
Specification
  • Dark grey, black headband with grey graphics
  • Water resistant for all weather use
  • Polycarbonate wide angle lens
  • Operates on 3 AA/LR6 batteries (included)

No comments: