Friday, March 04, 2011

Run, Run/Walk, Walk

Whichever way you look at it the Ironman marathon is both a challenge and a joy, you will have the swim and the bike behind you and you will be thinking more of the finish line but you will also be hurting, you will be tired and aching and you insides may be doing summersaults (think portaloos).

Unless you are a one of the very speedy types walking will probably pay part of your race. You will see many posts on various forums from those macho types belittling those who walk, but in truth many find themselves walking at sometime during the marathon.

You may have a strategy of run 9 walk 1 or similar or walk the aid stations and ramps and run the rest or you may just be playing it by ear.  In Switzerland I ran the first lap quite fast, then i switched to 9/1 and by the end it was more like 2/1 but I got round in a reasonable time.

The key to this is (IMHO) to know that walking in a race is not a stroll, you need to know how to pace you walk, In my first Ironman in Germany 2006 I walked most the marathon as I'd overcooked it on the bike, but I was passing others who were running and i finished strong. if you think about it, if you walk at 7kph you can cover a marathon in close to 6hrs

A good place to practice pace walking is on a treadmill, maybe as part as an indoor brick session, a typical session may look like ...
  • Spinning class
  • Then Treadmill set the incline to somewhere between 1% and 5% and start at 5kph
  • Each minute up the pace  by  0.5 kph until you are at 7kph 
  • then alternate 5min intervals at 7.0kph and 7.5kph for up to 1hour


The purpose of 7.5kph interval is to make the target pace of 7kph feel 'easier'

Also when you're out and about think walk not stroll

All this will hopefully help you not slow down too much in your Ironman marathon when you walk ... remember WALK DON'T STROLL 

WW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, I tend to walk through feed stations making sure I get exactly what I need.
No shame in walking in an Ironman, or crawling for that matter.
Great post Will.

Mx said...

I did run/walk at Lanza and it probably saved my run - I didn't at Roth and regret it!!

Good blog.