Friday, May 19, 2006

Open Water Swimming

Went for my first Open Water swim training session last night, I have done a few OW races in the past, with mixed levels of success, but I have never trained in open water – but at the weekends race I heard e few people on about the first OW training session the following week, so I dropped a local TRI club an email and went along to have a go.

The venue was Ladyburn Lake in Northumberland (see photo). There was actually a few TRI clubs there with a few members from each, so a good mix of people at the training session.


On Getting in the water – I must say it was cold and I was glad id put on 2 swim caps – plus the water was very green / murky so visibility was very bad. I managed to calm my nerves after a bit of a splash around then off we went on the training swim, firstly across the lake then diagonally down the length of the lake.

At this point I must state that I cannot swim in a straight line and my sighting skills are poor – so I ended up falling off the back and swimming in an arc rather than a line. SO the guy leading the training session decide we’d do some sight training swimming towards a life belt on the opposite shore then we swam back draft training and then back up the lake drafting & sighting then back into the start.


It wasn’t a good session for me as I continually fell off the back, being left by swimmers I’d lap easily in a pool and I ended up motion sick by the end of the session.


SO – I will be back next week, plus I intend going as many Thursdays as i can between now and the race … I WILL GET BETTER

3 comments:

Evil Pixie said...

good on you for going and taking on the lessons ... you will really improve if you keep going making IMDE so much easier!
Well done!
YOu've also mentioned all the reasons why I would never swim in open water!

Cath Delaney said...

That's the whole point in going tho Will. To learn where you need to improve. You know your stroke and speed is okay - but you need to brush up on sighting and staying on track. Like Pix says, well done on even going. Personally, I wouldn't open water swim. I just couldn't do it.

Also, isn't Kielder Water near you..? Thats supposed to be a pretty good lake!

Steven said...

Nice job, Will. And there is no doubt that you will improve if you keep doing things like this.