Monday, September 19, 2005

Great North Run

A jog to the coast (with 50,000 others) to mark the end of the season.

What can I say about this race; apart from it’s big, probably too big.

My aim for this race was to take it easy and not bother aiming for a quick time, which lead to me enjoying the run much more than I probably would have if I’d been really going for it.

I stood on the start line next to the 1:45 target marker (for 2 hours) until the start of the race and then as the gun went off slowly made my way to the start line, on passing this I had to dodge straight into the port-a-loos as I had stood for so long that to needed to pay a visit.

Then I was off for real, through the underpasses to shouts of “oggy oggy oggy” and toward the Tyne bridge. By now there were already people walking, MY FIRST GRIPE … why do idiots that cant go a mile without having to stop to walk start near the front, as I say blood idiots.

The heat was taking its toll and I was glad to see the water stop at 4 miles, even though I was carrying an energy drink, the cool water was refreshing and great to pour the remainder over my head to help me cool, I preceded to do this at every water-stop to help keep me comfortable and ensure not to suffer with the heat.

This brings me to MY NEXT 2 GRIPES, I understand that later in a race people may need to stop for a walk rest, but: why do it in the middle of the road … move over to the side and do it so not to get in the way of other runners … and finally why do people walk 4-abreasthaving a chat, aging blocking the progress of other runners.

Along the route a ran into quite a few friends and made many more, that’s the beauty of these large participation events and why I do them along with all the serious races I take part in.

At between 11 and 12 miles you climb a hill, from which you can see the sea and the crowds as you drop down onto the sea front for the last mile and a bit are great – to motivate you to the finish

Finished in 1:53 (about 6mins slower than my PB) feeling quite happy with myself and even happier when I got to the beer tent and there not being a queue
;o)
IRONMAN GERMANY ... 307 DAYS AND COUNTING

3 comments:

Cath Delaney said...

Really good going there Will. Glad you enjoyed the race. Have seen so many complaints about it and so many bad things... thought it was all bad. Have to agree with you on race etiquette though. Chances are though those people responsible are not regular racers. (sigh).

Hope the heel pad is okay too.

Born To Endure said...

I heard IMGermany is fantastic..good luck with your training and hope you have a great race!!

Cath Delaney said...

Will!!

This week's log..? Where is it..?

:o)