Friday, August 15, 2014

Making the Most of Time: The Bike Commute (Part 2)

As I have already stated, I have started using my commute to work as active training time. For now, most of this is on the bike. That’s because I’m not very good on a bike. Last time I blogged about my easier structured sessions on the way into work. This time I will cover the harder part of my regular commute.


Travelling from work

On the way home, the need to stay fresh has passed – so I can give these sessions the extra that will push me on. Unless I am actively recovering these will always leave me feeling I have put in some work. (Even at these short distances). There are times where I will just have an easy ride if I need a level of active recovery, but most of the time I try to get some quality work done.

For me I have a 5-mile (or more) stretch up a slight but continuous hill. My most common sessions are: -

  • Saw Tooth Intervals – I pick an upper HR% and a lower HR% and aim to move back and forth between the 2. For example 82% and 65%. I push myself until my HR is at 82% then ease off until it drops back to 65%. Then start to push again. 
  • Heart Rate Time Trial – I will aim to ride home at between 80 and 85% MHR recording the time, to monitor improvement. (This is a bit of a LT training session for me.)
  • Standard Short Intervals – These are simple 1min hard, 1 min active recovery. The 1min hard is hard but not a maximum effort. 
  • High Intensity Intervals – Done as 20sec hard followed by 40sec recover. This time the hard is at my maximum effort
  • Big Gear – A simple one, where I ride the majority of the ride in a much bigger gear than I am use to.
  • Standing – I ride home out of the saddle, thus recruiting slightly different muscles than I normally use.
  • The Long Hill Ride – once per week I will use my road bike rather than my MTB and take a longer route home (25-35mile). The aim of this is to get some quality hill climbing in. I try to hit categorised hills and aim to average well over 100ft of climbing per mile travelled.
Will


No comments: