Monday, August 11, 2014

Getting to the Start Line (Part 2 – The Plan)

I started in my previous article (here) discussing, what I see as, the initial goal of an Ironman race. Getting to the start line. This post will continue with the same theme, but now I will look at the actual need for a plan, rather than the build-up and prep to the plan.

Plan you may say … but do I really need a plan? Cant’ I just Swim a bit, Run a bit and Bike a lot?

Well you could, but that will only take you so far. The project manager in me believe that is you fail to plan, you plan to fail (and all that rubbish)

During the time before you start the actual training for your Ironman, you need to plan for the real training. Moreover, for me, being a bit of a geek, it is yet another joy of triathlon. (I like spreadsheets, schedules, etc.)

The problem is though where to start. Luckily, it does not need to be at the beginning. There are loads of Ironman training plans out there (both free and paid for). They range from 16-weeks long to 24-weeks (or so.) With that, there is also a range that range from beginner to advanced. So something for everyone.

When it comes to these plans, you have a couple of options:

  1. Take them as is and aim to follow to the letter
  2. Adapt them to fit you as a triathlete.


I have seen people have success with both approaches. Nevertheless, for me I need to take the latter course. I find off the peg plans too ridged to fit my lifestyle.  Real life can have the habit of getting in the way. So I study a few plans for the duration and level where I feel I should be training. Then I create my own plan from there,

... Then I forget all about it ...

Well, not really but at times it seems like it. For some weeks there seems to be a gulf between my planned training and my actual. Which just go to show even with careful planning … life can still throw a spanner in the works. However having a plan to work towards, helps provide focus. You will know what you aim to do in a given week. You will know what you training is intended to deliver in a given week. 

You will have the further steps towards that start-line.


Alternatively, you can find a coach and let them do all this for you. Although, that is not somewhere I normally go.

Good luck ... and SEE YOU AT THE START LINE ...

Will

No comments: