Thursday, September 22, 2016

Fasted Training

Fasted Training is not something I have given much thought to. However, on examining my training log, it is something I do. Regularly. In fact, about 5 times per week. I get up and use my commute to train, run or bike, before having my first meal of the day at work. Or, I get up early on a weekend and grab a quick run or swim before the rest of the household rises – again before breakfast.

So, in short, I am a fasted training.

Don’t get me wrong I am not a low carb high fat dude. Or an evangelist of training the body to burn more fat. It just turns out that 50% of my training is fasted.



The theory:

If you train in a fasted state, the body will be forced to break down stored fats in order to fuel the training. In this situation, your insulin level is low and will not interfere with the fat burning process, thus allowing you to access and burn more stored body fat for fuel.


My Experiences:

Looking back at my training diary I cannot see a definite train. What I can see is that I have had great training sessions, session where I feel like I’m floating along – one with the world. Although, on the flip side, I can also so sessions where I’ve died on my feet. I have bonked, hit the wall – whatever you want to call it.

However, I would say, that I have been more likely to crash and burn in sessions that are closer (in time) to the hour, or more. So, for me – there may be a limit to how much I can push myself on an empty stomach.

But I have been able to maintain quite a low (for me) body fat – even though I like my food and a beer or three.


My thoughts:

Fasted training may not be for everyone. If you think on it. training on an empty stomach used to go against the grain in the fitness world. However, we are learning that there is no one right formula for all who train. So, it may be worth giving a go.

If you do give it a go, don’t jump in all gung-ho. Ease in to things. Test out training at various intensities, as some athletes have better results with easy session but don't perform well with higher-intensity workouts, and yet others are the polar opposite.  

We are all different so it pays to try different training methodologies… don’t you think?

Also, break the fast as soon as you have finished your training. Not with any of these faddy diets., but with a good balanced meal. A meal that includes a good mix of protein, fats and complex carbs …. Your belly will thank you for it.

Will


No comments: