Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Ironman Maastricht 2016: Race Report

Originally published on


For me, the race report starts away from the event. It starts with the reason I was determined to make it round the race, and within the cut offs.

My father had been battling cancer for a few years and in February this year, after a bout of illness, he lost his battle. Training for an Ironman was the last thing on my mind. During the time I should have been building a base, I was spending my time in hospitals, and then a nursing home.


Roll on a couple of months and as I was just starting to be able to handle the grief of losing someone so important to me – my mother took ill. She could not cope without my father. In May this year I lost my mother.

Losing both my parents in less than 12-weeks has had a massive impact on me this year. Even now I struggle to keep my grief in check. But one thing I did decide … no matter how untrained I was … I was going to do Ironman Maastricht in the memory of my parents.

Training


In June I turned 50 and my better half bought me a pool. This was the only swim training I did. Tethered swimming in a cold pool in a northern garden.



I commuted half the time on my bike, rides of between 6-miles and 18-miles – plus managed to get a lumpy 30 in on a Wednesday evening. On top of this I did get a couple of 70-milers. However, this would be the 1st time I would attempt an IM without a good base of long rides.

I also ran commuted, for the other half of the time. Runs between 4 and 7-miles. Although I did get a 15-miler in. I knew the IM run was going to hurt.

Then the unthinkable. Two weeks out from the race, things went a bit pear shaped and a major issue meant it looked like I was not even going to get to my race. However, at the last minute, my mother-in-law and father-in law stepped in to save the day. For that, I will be forever grateful.

I was on my way

The race: Swim


Maastricht is a river swim. No laps. A simple out and back with an Australian exit, on an island, at the turn-round point.

This was the first time I have done a self-seeded start. I found a sign, that had 1:30(estimate) and then a 1:10 estimate. So I stood at a point about half way between the two, with a couple of other pirates (Chris & Boo). I was hoping for something around the 1:22 sort of area.

The start was sounded and the line began to move. Within 15mins or so I entered the murky waters of the river Maas. I had my usual slight tightening of my chest. However, I soon calmed down and got into a sort of rhythm.

The seeded start worked well. None of that normal underwater rugby sort of thing.

The swim seemed to go on and on and I felt like I was struggling. But eventually, I could see the turn round point in the distance. I just focused on getting there.

As we hit the channel into the turn round the water became very murky. In fact, it became black. A bit disturbing, but I plodded on – that’s how my swim felt now – a plod.

The next thing that hit me, was the smell and the taste. Marine diesel – obviously from all the river traffic. I would be burping diesel well into the bike.

I exited the water, walked the short distance to the re-entry, to try and catch my breath. Then I was back in. The swim had taking more out of me than I had expected.

Now I focused on the reason I was doing this race and forced myself to relax. I swam like I was having a holiday paddle – at least I was moving forward.

We passed the start/finish for a small loop then I was exiting. 1:12:12. A full 10-mins faster than by estimate – actually it is the fastest I have done the distance within an IM.

The race: Bike


IM Maastricht has a looonnng transition and I was in and out in just over 7-mins.

The bike was a typical two lap Ironman type bike ride, with the slight difference of crossing the border. Half the ride was in Holland – the other in Belgium. On paper it looked like a fast course. Not too hilly (only one real hill on each lap).

The reality was different though. Corner after corner, speed-bumps galore, cobbles and an assortment of other horrible road surfaces.

Then there was the weather: dry, rain, dry, monsoon-type rain dry, more rain and even a bit of gale-force wind for about 20-mins.

I raced on my TT bike with a racing set, rather than a compact. This would have been OK if it was not the points above. However, I spent as much time aero as I could and I found the 1st lap quite comfortable. Spending most of it in my big cog. And the main hill was no problem at all

Lap-1 … 3:15
The 2nd lap, my lack of training showed and I began to slow – big style. I even got off and walked up the hill while I refuelled. I slowed so much, I was an hour slower on the 2nd lap.

Bike completed in 7:15:52

The race: Run


I actually had to have a little sit down in T2 – I was done in. However, after a little talking to myself, I was out on the run in a little under 7m-mins.

On the run I just intended to wing it, focusing on the reason I was going to complete the race.

I crossed the river and into the town. The crowds were amazing; the streets were packed and the parks were alive with parties. However, the cobbles were a pain. I was glad I had taken my normal running shoes rather than my lighter racing option. All the same, It would not be too long before my ankles ached and my knees throbbed.

I managed to run most of the first 2-laps, but then again my lack of training came to call and I almost ground to a holt.

Time for the Ironman death-march. Slow – but I was still moving forward. In fact, I was once walking and talking to a guy who was running – until I walked away from him. But on the last lap I slowed even further.

I crossed the line, looking to the heavens and tears in my eyes. I completed the run in a shameful 5:47:20, but I had done it. In memory of my mam and dad.


In closing


I completed the race. That was my only aim. It took me 14:29:47. Not my fastest but not my slowest. But what mattered was the honouring of my parents.

And Maastricht … I think I’ll go back. What the bike ride lacked was more than made up for by the town and the people.



WW

No comments: