Monday, September 15, 2008

Great North Swim

I took part in the first ever Great North Swim on Saturday in Lake Windermere … and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The event was really well organised and Windermere was great to swim in, a bit cold at 15.1 degrees, but fun. It was a 1-mile swim with an exit and run across a timing mat at the turn round point (my back didn’t really like that).

My back problems cost me quite a bit time (probably 3-4mins) as every time I tried to increase my power I could feel it pull on my back and I didn’t want to cause further damage, so I had to settle for long slow stroke. Also on exiting the water there was a run to the finish line and I managed to fall over just before the finish line … which my wife caught on video

It ended up taking me 29mins which sore me achieve the following positions: -

17th Male 40-45 out of 107 finishers
24th Both 40-45 out of 213 finishers
167th Male out of 819 finishers
238th Overall out of 1670 finishers

I’ll be going back next year, hopeful fit, with the aim of finishing in the top 5% …. I may even try to average more than 2 swims every 3 weeks which I seem to average at the moment.
Video of me falling over just before the finish line (Including by wife laughing just at the end)

5 comments:

beanz said...

well swum - fancy laughing at you ;>)

Otter said...

With a time like that, who cares about the fall at the end? Inspiring! That is awesome, WW.

warriorwoman said...

That is indeed an amazing time - good event though wasn't it. I wonder if a few more will spring up now.

Highway Kind said...

Rather brilliant - to do that with a bad back is amazing

Cliff said...

Will,

Re: your comment. Yup I weighted myself afterwards. I lost 4 lbs of water. This including how much I drink during the run.

Yup..dehydrate for sure....